Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Vote on the Fate of Bonds 756th Home Run Ball

Mark Eckō, founder of Mark Eckō Enterprises and the clothing brand that bears his name, was the winning bidder for Barry Bond's record-setting 756th home run ball, and he has left it up to the public what to do with it. At Vote756.com anyone can vote for one of three options for what to do with the ball:

1) "Bestow it. Give the ball to Cooperstown. the ball that broke Hank Aaron's career home run record belongs in the Hall of Fame."

2) "Brand it. Burn an asterisk in the ball with a branding iron, adding a permanent footnote to the record. then, send it to Cooperstown."

3) "Banish it. Put the ball on a rocket ship and launch it into orbit, a moon shot for the ages. Out of sight, out of mind."

Personally, I voted to brand it and send it to Cooperstown with a permanent asterisk on it. In an ESPN interview, Eckō reported that Cooperstown has assured him that they will receive the ball in that condition. In my opinion, the ball does belong in the Hall of Fame, but it also should be there with an asterisk. Although I have to admit that sending it into space also has some appeal for me, I fear it would only make Bond's 756th home run even more famous, and I wouldn't want to see that happen.

Anyway, for all of my fellow baseball fans that read the blog, you may want to cast your vote soon. The deadline for the vote is September 25.


P.S. Go Cubs!

1 comment:

  1. Rather than post another article, I just thought I would let the blog's readers who may be interested know that the vote is over and Barry Bonds 756th home run ball will be going to Cooperstown permanently branded with an asterisk.

    ReplyDelete