Friday, October 26, 2007

The Trial of Martin Luther

The Trial of Martin Luther from withoutthegate on GodTube.

Most Evangelicals who celebrate Reformation Day do so on October 31, which is the day that Martin Luther nailed his famous 95 theses to the Castle Church door in Wittenburg in 1517. The debate that ensued led to a full outbreak of reformation and to Luther's trial at the Diet of Worms in 1521. So, I offer this video from GodTube as a reminder of this important occasion in the history of the Church. The clip is taken from the 1953 film, Martin Luther, in which Luther was wonderfully portrayed by Niall MacGinnis. I love the way the film employs Luther's famous hymn, A Mighty Fortress is Our God, in the background.

1 comment:

  1. The best film on Luther. My favorite quotes from the movie include:

    "Jesus Christ. Man only needs Jesus Christ."

    "Unless you can convince me by Scripture, and not by popes or councils who have often contradicted each other...unless I am so convinced that I am wrong, I am bound to my beliefs by the text of the Bible. My conscience is captive to the word of God. To go against conscience, is neither right nor safe! Therefore, I can not, and I will not recant! Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen."

    ReplyDelete